Monday, May 27, 2013

Naan and Tomato Chutney


I have tried making naan several times using recipes from the internet, cookbooks and cookery shows. But all my attempts flopped like SRK's Ra One and I always ended up with tough, rubbery or partially cooked flour balls. Rolled up and thrown from my Bangalore home, I am sure they would've bounced all the way to the Depsang valley in Ladakh and pulled down the Chinese tents that so bothered our leaders and put our media into a frenzy. And we could have somehow blamed the Pakistanis for it. (The two birds with a single stone thing). But as a peace loving person, I want my naans to be just naans and decided to give it one last try.


Verdict: Finally, these naans turned out to be good. They were soft, and blistered on top and made the perfect bread for curries and gravies.

Recipe:


2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup milk (approx)
2 tablespoons curd
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar

Method:

In a bowl, mix together plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle and add curd, milk and oil to this well. Starting from the centre, slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients to form a soft and smooth dough. (You can adjust the consistency by adding in more plain flour or milk as required.) Knead well for about ten minutes. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest in a well oiled bowl for an hour. 

The naan is ideally cooked in a tandoor or clay oven. But it can be done in a normal convection oven or on the stove top as well. 

If using an oven, preheat it to 250 C. 

Divide the dough into six equal portions. Roll out each portion thinly into a tear drop shape. I pressed some chopped coriander leaves onto the surface. You can leave it plain, or use chopped garlic cloves or sprinkle over poppy seeds. Place it on grill rack, close to the source of heat in the oven. I placed it on the upper rack of my oven. Cook for 3 minutes or until the surface is blistered here and there. 

If you choose to make your naan over the stove top, then heat a pan over high heat. Apply some water over one side of the naan, and press that side carefully onto the pan so it sticks to it. Now, reduce heat to minimum, and turn over the pan so that the naan is exposed to direct flame. Move the pan slowly over the flame till the naan is cooked and surface has brown spots.

Brush naan with butter and serve hot.


Naan is almost always paired with Butter Chicken Masala (recipe to follow soon) or Chicken Tikka Masala. But if you are too low on energy to make an elaborate curry, you could try it out with this simple tomato chutney. Might sound like a strange combination, but this combination of roti and chutney saved me during the days I had just started work and was either unwilling to or didn't have enough money to splash on food regularly. A roti as large as me (ok, maybe a little smaller than me) came at Rs 3, and the chutney came from my cousin's MIL, free of cost! :D Ah, the good old cheap days! ;).



Tomato Chutney Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch cumin seeds
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 green chilies, chopped
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
To taste, salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. The cumin seeds need to go in next, followed by chopped onions. Saute for a minute, then add garlic and green chilies. Continue sauteing till onion has turned translucent. Reduce heat and add chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute and toss in tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes have turned mushy and oil separates from the mixture. Add salt and sugar and stir in coriander leaves.


Enjoy!

Update on 10-Nov-2013: 
Click here for the recipe for Butter Chicken
You can also make naan using yeast. Click here for the recipe


11 comments:

  1. Hey Indu,Naan looks really perfect.If u had told me the red beautiful thing on the side was a non veg curry I would have believed it ;).
    Slogging on a detailed bread and then a demanding curry that will be finished in one sitting phew..I too would think twice:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not have much success with naan with baking soda and prefer to use the yeast based recipe I found. Waiting for the butter chicken recipe, but the tomato chutney sounds nice as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeast naan is something I intend to try out soon, bcos I also heard the results are better that way...!

      Delete
  3. Indu, reminds me of the time we bought tomato curry(25 Rs in those days!!) from that really expensive hotel opp the hostel in our first day in Ernakulam.We ate that with bread,but it was so yummy! Your version looks much better than that - wish you knew how to do this then :P and the Naan looks way better than any restaurant ones,just want to bite into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like restaurant made indu :) simply awesome work..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I love naan and yours looks absolutely divine! Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your naans seem fabulous! They look beautiful and so tasty! The tomato chutney is something that I keep in my mind for later!
    I've just discovered your blog, and I love it!
    Greetings from France,
    Méline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is curd and where do I obtain it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curd is formed when milk sours. If you do not have curd, you can use yogurt.

      Delete
  8. naan looks wonderful with the chutney

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...