Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Mocha Cake

Yum


Let me tell you straight away that this is not one of my favourite cakes. I am not even sure whether I like it. But then, I do not like coffee. While the rest of my family is drawn towards coffee the way Jerry floats towards cheese, I go to the extent of pinching my nose so as to not breathe in "coffee fumes". 




But I made the cake for my coffee loving mother who celebrated her birthday recently. While it is nowhere as good as a good old chocolate cake, it is not that bad either. I guess, for someone who enjoys coffee, this mocha cake would a divine treat.





For the cake:

1 cup plain flour + 1 teaspoon baking soda + 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted together
1/2 cup powdered sugar
100 grams butter, at room temperature
5 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder

Method:

Line an 8" baking tin with butter paper. Preheat oven to 180C.

Bring water to boil and add 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Mix till sugar is dissolved completely. Mix in instant coffee powder. Keep aside.

In a bowl, cream together butter and powdered sugar.

In another bowl, beat the eggs until doubled in volume. Add half of this to the butter mixture and mix well. The sifted flour needs to be mixed in next. Fold in the remaining egg, followed by the coffee.  

Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 30 minutes or until the a tester comes out clean. Once done, cool completely and divide the cake into two, horizontally.

 Coffee syrup
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1/4 cup water

Bring water and sugar to a boil. Add coffee powder and take off heat. Let the syrup cool.

Coffee Butter Cream

1/4 cup low fat cream
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder

200 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar

Method:
Warm cream over low heat till it just comes to a boil. Mix in coffee powder and keep aside.

Using paddle attachment of your electric whisk, soften butter. Adding 1/4 sugar at a time, continue whisking till all the sugar is incorporated and the butter is smooth. Stir in the coffee cream and whisk for one more minute.

To assemble:

Sprinkle half the coffee syrup over the bottom half of the cake. Spread 1/3 rd of the coffee butter cream over the half. Top it with the other half of the cake. Sprinkle over the remaining coffee syrup and frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining butter cream. Decorate with cashewnuts or flaked almonds.

Chill for a few hours, preferably overnight before serving. 

  

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Wow such a stunning cake and flavor - Love the clicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. i simply love coffee so do the cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always a fan of your pictures.Love the cake .bookmarking it.Happy to be ur follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful slice,yummy cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds delish, lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a beauty ! you don't like coffee- duh :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks so delicious!! I would love to eat a slice (or 5!) of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how is it humanly possible for someone to take pictures which are so mind bogglingly mouthwatering? seriously, please, please, please tell me how you manage to put up such amazing pics every time? no disrespect meant to your recipe- i cant rave about too many things at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cake and flavor both is a winner...Lovely clicks too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure your mom would have loved it! I love coffee flavored cakes, but dont make them much since one of my friends is like you and doesnt like coffee in anything. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am no lover of coffee :) But I do like coffee in cakes and in a couple of desserts and cold drinks. The cake looks really good Indu. Love how you have done the frosting.

    Also, belated birthday wishes to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!
    You have a nice blog with awesome clicks. I have just started following you and it may be highly encouraging if you may follow me back.
    http://cookingwithsapana.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    Sapana

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake looks great! Wish I could eat a slice of it.. I'm a new blogger... Do visit my blog.. http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not a coffee lover except in some desserts like tiramisu.. but this looks fabulous.. love the plate di.. where from???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plate is from NY, Carol :)
      My brother gifted it to my parents. And I kind of borrowed it.

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...