Monday, August 20, 2012

Onion Pakoras/Bajjis - Onions Fritters in Chickpea Batter


I often dream that I am taking a test and I am so grossly unprepared for it that I am unable to answer even a single question. With it comes the regret about time wasted, flashes of TV programs I was watching while I should have been studying, and a deep, suffocating, all-encompassing guilt. Once awake, I often imagine that the exam subject was history, possibly because the subject is so vast and takes days and days of preparation, and my usual method of last minute study wouldn't have helped. Phew.






Just a couple of days back, I had a dream that was a twisted version of my exam dreams, but no more fun than them. It seems I had promised people I would give them cooking lessons! but forgot all about it. When they did arrive home, I was clueless about what was to be done, and finally decided to teach them how to make onion pakoras. As I ran around grabbing this and that, someone in the back of my head kept reminding me in an increasingly louder and obnoxious voice that I didn't know how to make pakoras anyway. Luckily, my phone sounded my wake up call at that moment and I didn't have to deal with my students anymore. But as I lay awake reliving the pressure I felt in my dream, I decided I must learn how to make pakoras, just in case.


Recipe:


You will need:
3 cups thin, long onion slices
1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1 tablespoon ginger grated
1 teaspoon red chili powder
A pinch turmeric powder
2 tablespoons green chili, chopped finely
10 curry leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
To taste, salt
1/2 cup water (approximately)
Vegetable oil

Method:


Sprinkle some salt on the onion slices and keep aside for 10 minutes.

Mix together chickpea flour, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Slowly add water till you have a thick batter (When you add onions, the batter will become slightly loose). Add onion slices, ginger, green chili, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Do a taste test and add salt if required.

Pour oil into a frying pan till it rises by about a cm. Heat over medium high flame till a drop of batter dropped into the oil sizzles and rises to the surface. Working in batches, drop tablespoon after tablespoon of batter into the hot oil. Fry each side till it is golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. 

Repeat till all the batter is used up. Serve hot. 


  

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. The pakodas look great! I keep having dreams where I am not allowed to write my exam because I did not meet the required attendance criteria. As a result I do not get my degree, while all my friends graduate. I get up sweating, only to realize that I did get my masters degree long back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these pakodas look great, would love to try them out. nice clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i get these exam dreams all the time :( and wake up stressed.. but knowing you , you wud have passed even then :P .. love the pictures in the paper cone- thatukada style

    ReplyDelete
  4. That and a cup of hot masala chai! All I need now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried out these pakoras today and they came out really well. In fact excellent! It looked just like what you have shown in the pictures and it tasted simply super. Thanks for posting! Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...