Thursday, September 9, 2010

Crave Chinese? Try Saucy Chinese Paneer !!!



I have heard that authentic Chinese food tastes quite different from what we get from Chinese restaurants in India. But I am not about to complain, because I love Indo-Chinese cuisine. And last week, a craving for Chinese food hit me, but since no one wanted to go out, I decided to try something at home. I browsed through a few recipes and found that most Chinese dishes with an Indian touch have soya sauce, chili sauce, tomato sauce and MSG!!! And luckily, I had all of these in my kitchen, and I found some paneer in my refrigerator, so saucy (Chinese) paneer it was going to be.




Ingredients:
200 grm paneer cubed
2 onions, cubed
1 capsicum cubed
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp green chili sauce
1 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sugar
1 cube chicken/vegetable stock cube, powdered
½ tsp MSG (optional, for the restaurant flavour)
1 ½ tbsp cornflour
1 cup water
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
Spring onions, to garnish

Method:

Heat oil in a pan and add sugar. Once the sugar has browned, fry ginger and garlic till aromatic. Toss in onions, and sauté till they are tender. Add chili powder and fry for a few seconds on low heat. Add all the sauces, chicken/vegetable stock, MSG (if using) and salt and mix well. All sauces and tastemakers contain salt, so be careful about the amount of salt you use. Add paneer and fry for a few seconds. Mix the cornflour in water, so that there are no lumps and add this to the pan and mix everything together. Boil for a couple of minutes and finally toss in the capsicum. Heat well till the capsicum, sprinkle over spring onions and serve with hot rice.

You can increase the amount of chili powder, or use green chilies if you want more fire in your dish. You can substitute paneer with tofu if you like it.





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...