Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kerala Style Chicken Fry - for the hungry souls

Yum




A couple of weeks back, I was very busy with work and could not find time for my home chores. This left my husband and son frustrated (they should be able to appreciate the work I get done at home now), and both were particularly unhappy with the rather cold and oily noodles that we got from a nearby food joint. Finally I decided to give in to my husband’s pleas and groans, and pretending to be flattered by his remarks that I was a great cook, I cooked something that brought a satisfied smile to everyone’s face, but did not take too much of my time. It was the very simple Kerala style chicken fry. Chicken is marinated with a spice mix and deep fried in coconut oil infused with aromatic curry leaves. I would not recommend making chicken fry a part of your regular diet considering the amount of oil it consumes, but indulging once in a while should not be very harmful, alle?



 Recipe:





Ingredients
500 grams chicken thighs/legs (or any fleshy piece of chicken)
2 ½ tbsps red chilli powder
1 tsp pepper powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp vinegar
Salt to taste
A few curry leaves
1 cup coconut oil (or to deep fry)


Method:


Clean chicken pieces thoroughly and make slits on it so that the marinade is absorbed into the chicken.

Mix together the chili powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, vinegar and salt to form a thick paste. Rub the marinade thoroughly into the chicken pieces. Let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.

Heat oil in a wok. Add curry leaves and fry for a few seconds. Place the chicken pieces in the oil, and fry each side in medium heat till the meat is well done.

Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and garnish with lemon wedges.




Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. That looks really yumm! I have always liked the Kerala food very much! Would def. try this soon! grate site for Kerala dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tank u for this yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I would love to hear what you think about the post you just read. Do take a few minutes and leave a comment. And don't forget to visit again. Till we meet again, keep your frown upside down :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...